Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bittersweet

We've officially started introducing solid food to Anne.  We're using the Baby Led Weaning approach, no purees.  On the one hand I'm excited to give her new food to try, and I'm interested to see what she'll like and what she won't, how long it will take her to figure out how to manipulate it into her mouth, how long it will be before she starts swallowing and realizes food satisfies hunger. 

On the other hand, it's the beginning of the end of our nursing relationship.  I really enjoy breastfeeding my daughter.  I love the way her tiny hand searches for my face when she's nursing, or tugs at my shirt.  I love when she pauses, looks up into my eyes and smiles, and all I feel is love coming from her beautiful blue eyes.  I love holding her close to me in bed at night, and how she loves to fall asleep on my lap after nursing.

And then there's the fact that up until now, every ounce (no pun intended) of nutrition that has ever entered her body came from me.  She has never eaten anything from a can, box, bag, the ground, another animal, etc.  6 months of her life and her growth is attributed all to the life-giving milk I have provided her.   It's an amazing and wondrous feeling.  Breastfeeding really does feel like having a super power.  Or a direct connection to God.  Or both. 

So, I'm excited to be on to something new, but I'm also a little sad to have hit this turning point.  Time just goes by too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment