Monday, June 13, 2011

Birthday Reflections

My last day being 30 was awful.  Anne woke up in the middle of the night with fevers and coughing and so miserable she cried and whined for over an hour before I could get her to go back to sleep, and Kristian had to work that day so we had to get up early.  I got very little sleep and then had to take care of a whiney, congested, feverish Anne most of the day.  I got very little housework done and never made it to the grocery store.  The shower I took after Kristian got home was such sweet relief that I tried to stay in as long as I could, and even stood in the steamy bathroom a minute almost dreading opening the door to get dressed. 

Fortunately, my birthday was much better and made up for it.  Anne slept better and didn't have any fevers, which meant I got some sleep.  We skipped church in favor of sleeping in and having a more relaxing morning.  Kristian went and got us doughnuts for breakfast which is always happiness.  I took some time to check my email while Anne took a morning nap on my lap and then we went to the grocery store, came home and had lunch, and then headed to Fernbank to meet up with friends and family to celebrate my birthday.

On our way to the museum, I thought about the fact that I was born on this day, and it made me think about Anne's birth.  I think until you have a child yourself, a birthday is sortof an abstract thought, just a fun day to celebrate you being alive.  But having given birth, it made it more real for me.   I thought about the fact that my Mom must be remembering giving birth to me and what that must have been like.  I felt like my birthday should actually be more a celebration of my Mom than me; she brought me into this world and I was just the happy recipient of all her hard work.  I kindof think  "Mother's Day" should be celebrated on our birthdays, it would make more sense. 

The Ferbank Mytholgical Creatures exhibit was pretty neat, and I actually learned something about unicorns I never knew before thanks to Brian.  Funny that I've loved them my whole life but never really knew a whole lot about them... Brian, Jen, my Mom and Ray, Caitlin, Chuck and Kristian's Mom, Jarrett, Herb, Kira and Lucy came out to see the exhibit with me.  It was fun wandering around looking at everything.  After we went through the exhibit we went upstairs to the new kids area and let Anne play some.  She and Lucy had a blast smacking their hands in a virtual river to see the "waves" ripple out.  After we left Fernbank we ate at Everybody's Pizza before heading home.  It was a good day :-D

For some reason turning 31 seems old to me.  30 was awesome.  I loved being 30 because I finally felt like an adult.  I'd stay 30 forever if I could.   But if my birthday was any indication of what the rest of this year will be like, it should be a good year.  I'm looking forward to it. 

Also, sidenote, 8 month old baby fighting sleep = exhausting.  Anne literally rolled around our bed for half an hour last night before we gave up and took her downstairs to play some more.  She finally fell asleep on my lap around 9:30, an hour past her bedtime. >.<  Silly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment