Friday, June 24, 2011

Motives?

I was asked, yet again, recently why I post the parenting articles that I post on Facebook and my blog (in more or less words).  I've been thinking about this question all night, trying to explore my reasons and motives for openly discussing my opinions about controversial parenting topics.

I post these articles because I want other parents to know how terrible I think they are.  They need to understand that I'm the only one that has figured it out, that I have all the answers and they're all doing it wrong if they're not doing the things I believe in.  I need them to see that they are hateful, horrible people if they choose to raise their children a different way.  I love making other parents feel terrible about their decisions.

**And if you honestly believe that load of crap I just wrote go ahead and remove yourself from my life completely because I don't need people in my life who would believe that about me.

There are a couple of reasons I post the articles and opinions on certain topics that I do.  For one, because, well, it's my opinion and I like to share my opinion and I'm not afraid of the fact that it's controversial.  And while I have very strong views on certain topics, if someone were to reply with a convincing enough argument against any particular topic, I could change my mind.  In fact, some people have responded with comments that made me look at various topics in a different light, and while I may not change my opinion completely, I do understand other parents' views a little better.

For two, part of me has always been an activist.  In college I did a lot with supporting gay rights.  I still believe in gay rights because I think that whatever you do in your bedroom is your own business and we're all human and deserve to be treated with equal respect and dignity.  But it's not at the forefront of my life anymore, my daughter is, so now my inner-activist has found a home in parenting issues and babies' rights.

I had mainstream ideas until I read the articles I re-post and the opinions of others that I've now adopted as my own.  So there's always a chance that if I post something that resonates with someone, they will change their mind too.  And to me, that's a good thing.

I never, ever post things with an intent to hurt anyone's feelings.  I share because there are friends of mine who will agree with me and who will enjoy what I post, and because maybe, just maybe, I can open someone else's eyes to my viewpoint.  I am never, ever attacking anyone who has done things differently, or even who reads what I post and still decides to continue to do things their way.  Unfortunately, I am not always tactful, and I apologize for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment