Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dear Anne : August 16, 2011

Sweet girl, you are 10 months old today.  I looked at your Daddy holding you this morning and it astounds me how big you've gotten already.  You barely feel like an infant, more like a small child at this point.  I have mixed feelings about today.  It's exciting that you're getting older but also bittersweet.  In two short months you will be a toddler, and the baby days will be over.  Hopefully the toddler years and beyond will be just as sweet as the baby days have been.  I think the biggest thing I'm dreading is the age when you no longer want to cuddle with me or sit in my lap.  If you will just always want to cuddle with me, I think I'll be a happy mommy!  Note to self: I need to go cuddle with my own mom sometime soon. lol



You're crawling now and it's so much fun to watch you zip across the floor to get into whatever mischief you can find.  Just like your Daddy did, you love to mess with the house plants.  Some people have to find new homes for their pets when they have a baby (thankfully our cats seem to be adapting to you well), but I fear I may need to find new homes for my plants!  You love to throw the dirt on the floor and pull on the leaves, which would be fine if the next step wasn't to put them in your mouth.  You explore our house and I find it more fun to play in your room where I can let you wreak havoc without constantly pulling you away from things you can't play with.  You want to be held a little less now that you can move around on your own, but you're still our little Snuggle Monster.  You also pull up on furniture to a standing position, and "travel" along our hearth.  I'm sure you'll be walking in no time.

You discovered the game of "chase" this past weekend and Daddy and I are having fun crawling after you on the floor.  You will crawl a little ways and then stop and look back to see if we're still coming.  Of course, we always stay a few steps behind and pause when you do.  You always giggle and then get going again while we playfully threaten to "get you."  I think I enjoy it as much as you do.

You seem to love walks outside in the stroller.  Even when you're fussy and irritable inside, if we take a walk you get calm and watch everything.  I wonder if you love being outside as much as I do.

You're eating really well now, but it's starting to show that you're weaning.  I'm not making as much milk as I was and you're nursing for shorter periods and less often.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm ready to stop pumping, but I think I will miss the tender moments of nursing you.  You actually get cranky now if we don't feed you dinner on time; Daddy and I are still getting used to the idea that you're actually hungry for food now and not just milk.

I love spending time with you; the weekends are never long enough.  Though, after talking to some stay-at-home-moms, I wonder if being away from you so much makes me just appreciate the time we do have that much more.  Even the bad stuff is a joy to me because it's just part of parenting; since I don't see you all day long it might make it easier to handle in some ways.   Listening to your babbling makes me smile and your giggles make my heart melt.  You've learned how to make a kiss noise (though I'm not sure if you've made the connection from the sound to kisses) and I love it when you wrap your arms around me. Sometimes you just want Daddy, though, and I think he loves those moments when you turn from me and cling to him instead.  You've learned how to clap your hands together and I caught you clapping to a song at daycare this morning. It was adorable.

You still sleep in our bed every night and both Daddy and I still love it.  You do sleep by yourself when I first put you to bed, though, because Daddy and I usually come to bed a couple of hours later.  I think you will probably find the transition to your own bed at some point easier than I'm going to; I can't even imagine you not being there.  I love sleeping next to you.



You're getting so tall; apparently your grandfather was 6'4" and I think you might take after your Daddy and him.  I have to size up all of your clothes; you've already outgrown your 12 months bottoms and the tops are soon to follow; I have to go buy 18 months bottoms for you this weekend!  Part of this is because of the cloth diapers you wear, but some of it is just you.  Sadly this means that some of the bigger sizes we have for you are going to be the wrong season and we'll probably end up passing them along to your friends Lucy and Erica.

Sleep Sheep, Stitch, Corduroy Bear, and Pajama Doll (as Daddy has named her, the squishy pink and white doll that Grandpa Roland bought you) are your favorite toys right now.  You also love to sit in your rocking chair, the one that was Grandma's and Mommy's that Granddad refinished for you.  Pulling all of your books off of your shelf is endless amusement, and you love to unpack anything, whether it's a box of toys, the diaper bag, or the clothes from the dryer (nevermind that sometimes I'm trying to keep the clothes *in* the dryer!)  You love bathtime (Splash Splash!!) and playing with your plastic sea creatures.  The bouncer doesn't seem to interest you anymore and you haven't sat in your swing in months.  We still don't let you watch tv (not until you're 2) so I don't know what shows you will like, but sometimes the flashing lights from Daddy's video games will catch your eye (along with the controller in his hand) and we let you play with a controller that has no batteries for a few minutes.  Mostly you chew on the controller and ignore the tv at that point, though.



I love you more than words can express, and being your Mommy is the best thing ever.

Forevers and Always,

Mom



 

No comments:

Post a Comment